Its great effect is lowering the levels of bad cholesterol in the body. And also helps to prevent cancer, detoxifying, slow down aging, stimulate memory and concentration etc… Used in medicines.
I made this yam with payasam. Some people may feel itchy while cleaning yam. I also have this problem. But the taste of this payasam makes meforget it.
- 1/2 kg elephant foot yam
- 1/4 kg jaggery
- 3/4 litre of coconut milk 1st,2nd,3rd extraction.
- 1 tsp powdered spice powder
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts + 1 tbsp raisins
Lastly add 1st extract of coconut milk, spices, cashew nuts and raisins.
- 1/2 kg yam peal, cut and wash it
- Then 1/2 cook with 1 cup water and drain the excess water.
- Fry the cashew nuts and raisins in the ghee and set aside. In the same pan add the 1/2 cooked yam and golden fry.
- And just crush in a blender. Tranfer this yam to a heavy bottomed vessel.
- Then 1/4 kg jaggery melt with 1/2 cup of water and purify with a stainer.
- Add this jaggery syrup in the the crushed yam. Allow to cook with 1/4 litre of milk and 1 tbsp ghee in low flame.
- When it becomes thick add the second extract coconut milk. Stir 2 to 3 minutes when sprinkle the powdered dry ginger, cardamom and cumin.
- Then lastly pour first extract milk stir for one minute and add fried cashew nuts and raisins.